Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions (TNEA)
Anna University conducts Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions (TNEA) to offer admissions to candidates in various engineering colleges in the state of Tamil Nadu. TNEA counselling is a single window process and admissions in Tamil Nadu engineering colleges are offered through such a process because authorities believe that such an initiative facilitates transparency.
Candidates need to note that TNEA written exam has been scrapped and so seats are allotted in TNEA through merit list. The merit list for this entrance exam is created on the basis of Class 12 score scaled to 200.
TNEA rank list is used to offer admissions to candidates in undergraduate programmes like Bachelors of Engineering (BE) and Bachelors of Technology (BTech) in colleges of Tamil Nadu.
TNEA rank list means through which around 2.5 lakh seats in 535 engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu will be filled.
The written test for TNEA has been scrapped and admissions are based on counselling.
Syllubus for Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions
Admissions through TNEA are not conducted on the basis of a written test but through a detailed counselling procedure.
Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions Notification
TNEA 2017 counselling dates will be out soon
Eligibility for Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions
TNEA eligibility criteria shared reflects that candidates will be eligible for admissions if they fulfill the below mentioned eligibility criteria:
Candidates are eligible to apply for admission through TNEA if they are
- Tamil Nadu candidates who have passed their Class VIII to Class XII standard in Tamil Nadu
- Children of Central Government Employees, irrespective of their nativity, provided their parents or guardians (only if both parents are not alive) have been serving in Tamil Nadu continuously for the past five years at the time of TNEA application form submission
- Sons/daughters of All India Service Tamil Nadu cadre officers.
- Children of employees in the Public Sector or Government recognised institutions who at the times of TNEA 2016 application form submission had been working in their organisations for the past five years are also eligible to apply, irrespective of their domicile.
- Other state candidates who have studied from Class VIII to Class XII in Tamil Nadu can also apply for TNEAu
- Tamil Nadu native candidates who have passed any of the VIII, IX, X, XI and XII standards or their equivalent examinations from schools situated outside Tamil Nadu can also apply for TNEA.
TNEA Eligibility Criteria: Qualifying Exams
Candidates are eligible to apply for TNEA if they have cleared their HSC (academic) or its equivalent with a minimum average percentage in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry put together as mentioned below
|Community||Pass with minimum average marks in Maths, Physics & Chemistry put together|
|Backward Class including Backward Class Muslim||45%|
|MBC and DNC||40%|
Apart from the above mentioned eligibility criteria, candidates will also be eligible for admissions if they have cleared any one of the HSC (Vocational Subject) as mentioned below with an one of the Engineering related subjects namely Mathematics, Physics or Chemistry with a minimum average percentage put together as mentioned below:
|Community||Pass with minimum average marks in related subjects, vocational theory and practicals put together|
|Backward Class including Backward Class Muslim||45%|
|MBC and DNC||40%|
Vocational courses prescribed for BE/BTech degree admission
|Group Code||Name of Vocational Subject|
|422||Electrical Machines and Appliances|
Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions Application
Candidates can apply for admissions through TNEA through the below mentioned modes
• In person: Through 50 TNEA admission centres
• Postal: Only from Anna University, the Centre for Entrance Examinations and AdmissionsInternet: Though Anna University official website
• Candidates have to submit their duly filled TNEA application form either in-person or by post along with photocopies of their mark sheets, age proof and copes of all relevant certificates at the address mentioned here before the due date: Secretary, TNEA, Anna University, Chennai.
After normalising marks scored by candidates (across all boards), the final merit list followed by TNEA rank list is prepared on the following factors:
• Percentage of marks in Mathematics
• Percentage of marks in Physics
• Percentage of marks in Chemistry
• Percentage of marks in the 4th optional subject
• Date of Birth (elder candidates are give preference)
TNEA rank list is published depending on the overall rank, community-wise and region-wise.
TNEA is a mode through which lakhs of students are admitted into Tamil Nadu engineering colleges through a single window counselling process. The counseling procedure for TNEA mostly commences in the third week of June. The entire TNEA counselling process is spread over five stages which are:
• Application Issue & Submission
• Application Scrutiny
• Random Number and Rank Publication
• Counseling Call Letter Despatch
• Single Window Counselling
The counselling process for TNEA begins with applications form issuing. Once the applications are issued, candidates can check the status for the same on the official website for the exam. The application form includes a coding sheet, instruction booklet and booklet which contain a list of all engineering colleges.
Candidates need to save the number mentioned in the coding sheet because this is the application number issued to candidates which they need to use for any future reference.
The second step in TNEA counselling is an internal process. The coding sheets filled and submitted by candidates are scanned by special machines & the data is thereafter fed to the computer for further processing. It is for this reason that candidates are advised to fill the coding sheet very carefully.
The coding sheet’s scanned data is verified with the application data and the attached supporting documents are also checked. Also, if any of the mentioned supporting documents are not attached then the application will be nullified.
Candidate need to satisfy all the eligibility criteria like the minimum marks as mentioned by the Government of Tamil Nadu in the TNEA booklet. The minimum marks to be eligible for admissions through TNEA is the total sum of marks obtained by a candidates in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics divided by sum of maximum marks one can secure in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
Aggregate marks or cut-off mark is the sum of Physics marks obtained by the candidate scaled to 50, Chemistry marks obtained scaled to 50 and Mathematics marks obtained scaled to 100. Thus the maximum aggregate or cut-off mark for any candidates is 200.
Counselling Call Letter
The candidates will be ranked and called for TNEA counselling on the basis of the rank list issued for the exam. A call letter containing the date of counselling for the particular candidate will be sent to his/her communication address. The counselling dates will also be published on the official TNEA website during publication of rank list.
Single Window Counselling
On the day of counselling, the following process is followed which involves:
• Firstly, candidates will need to pay the fee at the bank.
• Secondly, candidates will have to appear for a briefing session.
• Thirdly, verification of certificates submitted by the candidates will take place.
• Fourthly, candidates will be asked to fill their preferences during seat allotment.
• Fifthly, the seat allotment order is issued to candidates.